The basic of any macrame art is the macrame knots. Once an artist perfects the knots, there is nothing stopping him from excelling in this art. The macrame knots are also the toughest part of this artform. You may find yourself trying repeatedly to correct the style and end up with disappointing results. But, be patient and keep trying – that is the only way you can make a perfect knot.
Half-Hitch Macrame Knots
The best way to excel in the art of macrame is to start trying the easy things first. The easiest macrame knot is undoubtedly the ‘Half-hitch’ knot. It is simply wrapping around one strand around another strand. Here is how you can do it:
- Step 1: Take a knitting needle and wrap the macrame cord around it.
- Step 2: Take the short length of the cord and cross it under the longer length of the macrame cord.
- Step 3: Now take the short end of the macrame cord over and again down between the hole made at the point where the cross is made by the cord and the needle and pull it through.
- Step 4: Pull out the needle from the macrame knot and tighten the knot so that it does not unravel.
This knot is quite easy but you may often find yourself forgetting how to do it. Don’t let that demoralize you and stop you from trying again. You can even watch YouTube videos and correct yourself time and again. The most frequently used knot in the macrame art is none other than the ‘Half-Hitch’ knot. So, make sure you know how to do it properly.
How To Keep The Knots Uniform?
Now that we know how to tie one of the easiest macrame knots, the time has come to know how to keep those knots uniform. If you don’t know how to maintain uniformity or are unable to do it, your work will still end up being unsuccessful. Such is the effort needed to make a macrame art beautiful. In the below-given lines, we have written how to maintain a uniform pattern so that all your efforts do not go in vain.
- One of the easiest ways to keep the macrame knots uniform is by using a macrame board. This will help you to anchor and secure your already complete work while you concentrate on the new and pending work you need to do. You can also use a macrame board if you are struggling to keep the size of your knots even. Thus, it will also successfully maintain uniformity in your work.
- The next great way to bring uniformity to your work is to practice. We all know that no good thing happened in one day and that only practice can make a man better. So, keep on trying hard until you finally achieve the uniformity required to make your artwork look beautiful.
- Last but not least, securing your work (without using a board or any other help) is also a great way of bringing uniformity in your work. Not just in between the knots, but also even before starting with your work, if you grow the habit of securing your work, you will face lesser problems as you progress. Many people have agreed that this technique will give a better-looking macrame project.
Don’t forget to keep in mind the above-mentioned points to tie and secure the macrame knots. We are sure that you will receive beautiful results and along with that praises from whoever comes across your work. So, don’t wait and start macrame!