Macrame is a piece of textile that is used as wall hangings. As clothes are produced by weaving and knitting, macrame is produced by knotting. The macrame starts with a reef knot and has many hitchings and half hitches. This macrame was used mostly by sailors in ancient days to cover knife handles, bottles, etc. Cavandoli macrame is a type of macrame having geometric and free-form patterns. In this type of macrame, you can see a single knot, the double half-hitch knot, and reverse half hitches. Using this technique, leather, friendship bracelets, or fabric belts are also produced.
Easy Macrame Wall Hanging Making
- All you need is a wooden dowel, 1 – 2 skeins, a 3mm macramé cord, and scissors.
- Take a rope of 1-2 inches having a length more than your dowel to be used as a string.
- Next cut 24 pieces of macramé cord measuring 120 inches.
- Now fold the 1 string into half and place this folded loop underneath your dowel. Leave the cut ends of string over the dowel and loop to create a Larks Head Knot. Give a tight pull. Do it for the rest of the string. This is to attach the cord and the dowel.
- Strat putting square knots to bring a mess pattern. Start from the left. Take the 1 st four strings; 1 in the left, 1 in the right, and 2 in the middle.
- Bend the left string over the middle two cords and underneath the right cord. Bring the cord on the right side under the cords in the middle and over the cords in the left. Give a tight pull.
- Do the same for the cords in the far right. Bend the left string over the middle two cords and underneath the right cord. Bring the cord on the right side under the cords in the middle and over the cords in the left. Give a tight pull. This creates one complete square.
- Come to the next row. Skip the first two strings on the far left. Start tying knots. As you reach the end, there will be two untied strings on the right.
- Start with the third row. Put knots using the first four strings as in the first row. Follow this pattern alternatively till halfway down the piece.
- Now taper the wall hanging into a point. Leaving the first two left strings, tie square knots. In the next row leave the first four left strings, tie your square knots. Leave the last four right strings.
- Follow the same pattern row by row, leaving six, eight, ten left and right strings till you get one square knot in the center. To get a V pattern, trim the fringe at the bottom.
- That’s it. And finally, if you want tassels make them and hang them over the macrame wall hanging that you have just knotted.
Uses of Macrame
- You can make different types of wall hangings to decorate your house.
- You can make tiny baskets and storage containers using this technique. For this, you need a sturdy cord.
- You can wrap the unused bottles and jars using this macrame and convert them into decorative flower vases.
- It is used to hand plant pots, lights, bird feeders, and craft and art decorations.
- Macrames are used to give outlines for mirrors and portraits.
- You can make pillows and blankets using macrame.
Thus macrame is an art just like weaving and embroidery. You can make anything in your house so decorative using these macrame pieces.